For more than four decades, Augsburg University has ushered in the Advent and Christmas seasons with Advent Vespers, a magnificent experience of music and liturgy, focusing on the theme of preparation and culminating in the joyful celebration of the Incarnation.
43rd Annual Augsburg University Advent Vespers
IMPORTANT NOTE: We still have seats available at all services – please arrive at a service of your choice and pick tickets up at will call. Thank you!
Important Post-Thanksgiving Vespers Order Information
- There is plenty of seating available for all services. Please come to the service of your choosing and pick up seating envelopes at will-call on your way in.
- Online ordering closed on 11/23, but we still have seats available for all services. Please visit Vespers Parking or email email@example.com for Central Lutheran Church parking and map information.
Mailed in Orders:
- Orders that were able to be processed by 11/23 were processed for their first choice and placed in the mail ASAP.
- Orders received after 11/23 will be contacted with confirmation and given instructions for picking up envelopes at Central Lutheran Church will call prior to the service.
- All seating is general admission. Doors to the sanctuary open one hour prior to each service, and 30 minutes prior to the Open Dress Rehearsal on 12/1.
- If you require accessible seating, please go directly to an usher for assistance.
- The service will run approximately 75 minutes.
- The live-streamed service will also be recorded and will be available at a later date yet TBD.
Vespers Dates and Times
The 43rd Advent Vespers will be held in person at Central Lutheran Church in downtown Minneapolis
- Dates: Thursday, December 1, 2022 – Saturday, December 3, 2022
- Open Dress Rehearsal: Thursday, December 1 at 8 pm
- Service #1: Friday, December 2 at 7 pm
- Service #2: Saturday, December 3 at 2 pm
- This service will be live-streamed. See above for information!
- Service #3: Saturday, December 3 at 5 pm
- Reservations: Online reservations are now closed – please see above for additional information
- Cost: Free, with a suggested donation of $30/person
- Transportation: Shuttles will be provided on Friday and Saturday from Augsburg’s campus.
During this unique Advent Season, we invite you to consider giving to one or all of following funds:
Advent Vespers Fund
For more than four decades, Augsburg University has ushered in the Advent and Christmas seasons with Advent Vespers, a magnificent experience of music and liturgy. These services continue to be completely funded by generous individual contributions and your donation today will directly support this majestic tradition!
Augsburg – Central Health Commons Fund
For more than 29 years, Augsburg’s Department of Nursing has operated a free health-focused drop-in center at Central Lutheran Church for people experiencing homelessness or who are marginally housed. Basic supplies are needed to continue to serve those most displaced with the crises upon us. Your donation will be used to purchase new adult socks and underwear, soap, toothpaste, diapers (size 5 or 6), Band-Aids or other simple items to promote health.
volunteering at vespers
Interested in volunteering at this year’s Advent Vespers? We would love for any Augsburg staff, alumni, or current students to help support in handing out programs, collecting seating envelopes, and greeting guests as they arrive for each of the services.
Please fill out the form below or email Advent Vespers Producer Margaret Albers at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!
Advent Vespers Archives
Enjoy some past Advent Vespers Service at the links below.
- The Augsburg University Archives is a searchable website of photos, articles or recordings with content from Advent Vespers
- To watch videos of past Advent Vespers, visit The Augsburg University Archives YouTube Advent Vespers Playlist
- The most recent video recordings are located on the department’s Youtube Channel – Check it out!
Interested in learning more about Advent Vespers?
Contact any of the Advent Production Team Members
- Dr. Kristina Boerger, music director
- Dr. Rafael Rodriguez, orchestra director
- Pastor Babette Chatman ‘06, liturgical director
- Pastor John Schwehn, liturgical director
- Mark Sedio, university organist
- Margaret Albers ’21, producer
Additional Questions About Advent Vespers
Feel free to contact the Music Office directly at email@example.com or 612-330-1265