The Doctor of Psychology encourages qualified applicants from other countries to apply to the PsyD program. An F-1 student is a non-immigrant who is pursuing a “full course of study” to achieve a specific educational or professional objective, at an academic institution in the United States that has been designated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to offer courses of study to such students, and has been enrolled in SEVIS (the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). Along with the normal application process through PsyCas, international applicants may also be required to provide the following:
English Language Proficiency
A pre-approved English Language Proficiency Test is required for all applicants whose native language is not English or who have not graduated from an institution at which English is the language of instruction. To meet Augsburg University admission requirements, applicants must provide evidence of a sufficient command of both written and spoken English to study college courses conducted entirely in English. The following is a list of the tests and programs Augsburg University accepts as evidence for English proficiency.
- TOEFL: Minimum score of 80 on the Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) with a sub score of 20 on the written and 20 on the speaking sections.
- TOEFL Essentials: Minimum score of 8.5
- IELTS: Minimum score of score report of 6.5.
- Duolingo English Test: 105 (For tests taken on or after July 15, 2019)
- Successful completion of a previous undergraduate or graduate degree at an accredited college or university in the US, the United Kingdom, Ireland, English-speaking Canada, New Zealand or Australia.
International Transcript Evaluations
Augsburg requires an evaluation of credentials for any transcript(s) from an institution outside of the United States.
This evaluation should include the following:
- Analysis of credentials to determine if your degree is equivalent to an accredited U.S. bachelor’s degree.
- Course by course evaluation to show your complete course listing with credit values and grades received for each course.
- Calculation of grade point average to demonstrate your cumulative grade point average using the standard U.S. grading system, i.e., A=4.0, B=3.0, C=2.0, D=1.0, F=0.0.
- Translation to English (if applicable)
Evaluations can be accepted from World Education Services, SpanTran Pathways – Augsburg University, Educational Credential Evaluators, or any NACES accredited organization. Learn more about NACES and find a list of accredited evaluators at NACES.org
Certification of Finances
In order to review your application for admission and process your Form I-20, the following documents must be received:
- Completed Augsburg Certification of Finances form
- Proof of funding as demonstrated by supporting financial documents (such as bank statements – current within three months; Government Support Letter; etc…)
- Copy of the first page your passport
Students with current F-1 status through another university in the United States: You will need to have your SEVIS record transferred from your current institution to Augsburg. The SEVIS Transfer form must be completed by you and your Designated School Official. You will need to present your Augsburg letter of admissions to the DSO when submitting your transfer request. This form may be returned to Augsburg by e-mail.