granting academic honors
To be eligible for Latin honors, a student must meet GPA standards as stated below, as well as complete a minimum of 56 traditionally-graded credits at Augsburg. Courses graded on a Pass/No Pass scale do not count towards the 56 traditionally-graded semester credits. Transfer students should be especially aware of this requirement.
Latin Honors will be awarded on the basis of the following grade point averages:
- Cum Laude: 3.600-3.799
- Magna Cum Laude: 3.800-3.899
- Summa Cum Laude: 3.900-4.000
- Starting Fall 2018, Summa honors will be determined based solely on GPA. Departments may, if they wish, choose to offer an oral examination as an option for their highest-achieving students but not as a requirement for Summa honors. Students are encouraged to contact their faculty advisor or department chair if they are interested in participating in the exam process, though they are not required to do so, as the Summa honors determination will be based exclusively on GPA.
- Departments should, in the context of this change, examine their grade distributions and discuss the fit between their grading practices and the standards of the University; such considerations should be part of the annual department assessment.
- For information about the guidelines for the past Summa Oral Examination, please email the Registrar Graduation Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.