Advising and planning for graduation occurs throughout a student’s program. Advisors and students are welcome to use the graduation checklist to track requirement plans and completion at any time during their college experience; however, they should not file the Intent to Graduate paperwork with the Registrar’s Office sooner than twelve months before the planned final semester. To begin the process, follow the steps below to stay on track.
Submit Intent to Graduate Packet
The Intent to Graduate packet must be submitted within the last 12 months of one’s program. Forms turned in too early will be returned. Forms turned in too late risk the student’s name not being included in the commencement bulletin. The Intent to Graduate Packet is your official degree audit—a document listing out your final major, minor, and Core Curriculum requirements. Please complete these documents accurately.
A Complete Intent to Graduate packet will include:
Major Checklist — Meet with your advisor to complete the form; both of you will need to sign it. An academic advisor can sign unless a waiver, substitution, or exception is made, in which case a faculty advisor must both sign the form and initial beside each waiver, substitution, and exception.
- Minor Checklist — If applicable — This only requires a faculty signature if a waiver, substitution, or exception is made, in which case their initials are needed beside each waiver, substitution, and exception.
- Graduation Audit — You can print your graduation audit from the “Degree Progress” section of Records and Registration.
Document both completed requirements (term and final grade) and when you will complete unfinished requirements, including core requirements listed on the Graduation Audit. Be specific about courses and semesters. Submit the Intent to Graduate packet to the Registrar’s Office (Enrollment Center, Sverdrup Hall). Email email@example.com with questions.
Review Intent to Graduate Packet
Once you submit the Intent to Graduate packet to the Registrar’s Office, an audit will be done on your record. This is usually completed within two weeks. The Registrar’s Office will post the completed form to your Augnet account under Records and Registration and you will receive an email letting you know when it is available. Once you receive the email, go to Records and Registration and click on “Degree Progress.” Review the document, noting any questions or comments made by the graduation team.
This is your road map to finish your degree, so refer to it as needed during registration. If you need to revise your plan, make sure you are working with an advisor and notifying firstname.lastname@example.org if the revision is significant (adding or dropping a major or minor, moving your final semester, etc).
Monitor Degree Progress and Send Notification of Plan Changes
Periodically review your Intent to Graduate Packet and other records in Inside Augsburg’s Records and Registration:
- In “Degree Progress,” print your Intent to Graduate packet.
- Review your packet while referencing the “Grades/Unofficial Transcript” tab in Augnet, filling in grades for the courses/requirements that have been completed since submitting your Intent to Graduate packet. Pay special attention to the areas listed below. If any of the information below is incorrect or has changed, you must notify email@example.com as soon as possible to prevent delays to your graduation. If you are making changes that do not have a significant impact on your completion plans (taking a course in Fall instead of Spring, changing from one elective option to another still listed on your checklist, etc.), you do not need to notify the Registrar’s Office. When in doubt, send an email.
- Name to be Printed on Diploma.
- Degree(s), major(s), and minor(s). If you are adding a major or minor, you must submit new signed checklist(s) to the Registrar’s Office. Remember that any substitutions also require faculty initials or email documentation.
- Planned Grad Term. Are you on track for completing the remaining requirements by the Planned Grad Term indicated?
- Commencement Ceremony Year. Note that you can participate in a ceremony as long as you are within 12 credits/3 requirements of completing your degree and the degree will be earned by the end of the following Fall semester (December).
- Additional course substitutions, waivers, or exceptions. Your faculty advisor must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org approving any new substitutions, waivers, or exceptions.
- Additional transfer/exam coursework. If you are planning to complete additional courses by transfer or exam, notify the Registrar’s Office of the details (e.g. course code, semester, transfer institution, exam name). Be aware of the senior residency requirement.
- In “Degree Progress,” review your Graduation Audit.
- Will you have completed all core requirements by your Planned Grad Term? If not, notify email@example.com of your new Planned Grad Term.
- Will your GPA be at least 2.0 at the completion of all graduation requirements? If it will not reach 2.0, you will need to retake course(s) to raise your GPA.
- In “Grades/Unofficial Transcript,” consider these questions:
- Will you have at least 128 credits at the end of your Planned Grad Term? If not, send a notification to firstname.lastname@example.org of your new Planned Grad Term and how you plan to reach the minimum number of credits required for graduation.
- Is all completed transfer work accounted for? If there is transfer work that you have not yet sent to Augsburg – including summer classes or PSEO, AP, or CIS coursework – submit it now, following the instructions under Sending Transcripts to Augsburg and Credit by Exam.
- In “Student Info/Contacts,” verify your information.
- Is your name correct? If not, submit the Name/Demographic/Address Change Form with documentation.
- Are your major(s) and minor(s) correct? If not, send a notification of the changes to email@example.com. If you are adding a major or minor, attach the approved and signed checklist.
- Is everything under “General” correct? Pay special attention to your address and contact details to ensure you receive your diploma and that Augsburg can contact you with any important information.
Check Graduation Workshop
During your last semester, you’ll be added to the “Graduation Workshop” in the “My Courses” section of Inside Augsburg. This online workshop has important information and items you will need to complete before graduating, like exit loan counseling, migrating your email information, and connecting with the Alumni Association.
Participate in Commencement
Graduation is what happens when you have completed all requirements and receive your degree. Commencement is a ceremony for students to celebrate their academic achievement with friends and family. Participation in commencement does not automatically mean that a student has graduated; students are allowed to participate in the commencement ceremony if they are within 12 credits/3 requirements of graduation at the time of commencement and will finish those requirements within the calendar year.
Commencement is held at the end of each Spring semester. In mid-February, each student will be contacted through their Augsburg email about the Commencement Participation and Ticket Request Form.
Request tickets for all guests (including infants and toddlers). Each guest will need a ticket for admission.
- Information will also be included about ordering caps and gowns at the Graduation Fair in the Augsburg Bookstore or Rochester site.
Not planning to participate in the ceremony? Please notify us by taking a moment to fill out the Commencement Ceremony Participation and Ticket Request Form found on the Commencement Website. This will help us to plan more accurately.
Diplomas and Transcripts
Once grades are submitted, we will review your record for graduation. If all graduation requirements have been met, we will award your degree and change your status to “Graduated.” You will receive a notification of these record updates in your Augsburg email account the next morning. If you are ordering final transcripts, please wait until you receive this notification to prevent needing to order and pay for the final transcript a second time.
If we determine that you have not met all graduation requirements, we will send a list of the remaining requirements to your Augsburg email account after we have completed the graduation review process for all graduation candidates.
Please make sure your mailing address is correct in Records and Registration and that all financial obligations and exit loan counseling requirements are met so that you will receive your diploma in a timely manner.
Diplomas will be mailed out to everyone having a status of “Graduated” within eight weeks of the conclusion of final exams. The diploma packet will include two transcripts: an unofficial transcript for your records and an official transcript in a sealed envelope. If you would prefer to pick up your diploma packet, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org after your status has been changed to “Graduated.” Pickup orders are held at the Enrollment Center (1st Floor, Sverdrup Hall, 707 21st Avenue S). If you would like someone else to pick up your diploma, sign and provide an authorization. Photo ID is required in all cases.
Stay an Auggie!
As a graduate of Augsburg University you will receive invitations to alumni events, the Augsburg NOW, and a monthly e-Newsletter to keep you informed of events at the University and updates on former classmates. To ensure you receive these things, please keep your contact information up-to-date. To update your contact information or submit your news, visit the Alumni Office or email email@example.com.