Preparing for graduation begins one year prior to degree completion. To begin the process, follow the steps below to stay on track.
Submit Intent to Graduate Form
The Intent to Graduate form should be completed one year before you plan to graduate from Augsburg University. This is your official degree audit—a document listing out your final major, minor, and Core Curriculum requirements. Please complete these documents accurately.
A Complete Intent to Graduate packet will include:
Major Checklist — Meet with your advisor to complete the form; both of you will need to sign it. An academic advisor can sign the form, unless a waiver, substitution or exception is made. In those cases, a faculty advisor must sign off.
- Minor Checklist — If applicable — This only requires a faculty signature if a waiver, substitution, or exception is made.
- Graduation Audit — You can print your graduation audit from the “Degree Progress” section of Records and Registration.
Document when you will complete every requirement, including core requirements. Be specific about courses and semesters. Submit the Intent to Graduate packet to the Registrar’s Office (Enrollment Center, Sverdrup Hall). Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Review Intent to Graduate Form
Once you submit the Intent to Graduate packet to the Registrar’s Office, an audit will be done on your record. This is usually completed within two weeks. The Registrar’s Office will post the completed form to your Augnet account under Records and Registration, and you’ll get an email letting you know when it is available. Once you get the email, go to Records and Registration and click on “Degree Progress.” Review the document, noting any questions or comments made by the graduation team.
This is your road map to finish your degree, so refer to it as needed during registration. If you need to revise your plan, make sure you are working with an advisor and notifying email@example.com if needed.
Monitor Degree Progress and Send Notification of Plan Changes
Periodically review your record in Inside Augsburg’s Records and Registration:
- In Degree Progress, check your Intent to Graduate form: Are you on track for completing all major and minor courses by the Planned Grad Term indicated on page 1? Is coursework being completed by transfer work or course substitutions noted as such? Are the major(s) and minor(s) indicated on page 1 still accurate?
- In Degree Progress, check your Graduation Audit: Will you have completed all core requirements by the Planned Grad Term indicated on page 1? Will your GPA be at 2.0 at the completion of all graduation requirements?
- Check your Grades/Unofficial Transcript: Will you have at least 128 credits at the end of the Planned Grad Term indicated on page 1? Is all completed transfer work accounted for? If there is transfer work that hasn’t been received – including summer classes or even PSEO, AP, or CIS – submit it now, following the instructions under Sending Transcripts to Augsburg and Credit by Exam.
- In Student Info/Contacts, check your name, address, and permanent email: Will your diploma be mailed to the correct address? Do you need to submit a name change form?
If you will be completing the last of your graduation requirements in a term other than the Planned Grad Term indicated on page 1, please send a notification to firstname.lastname@example.org of your new Planned Grad Term to ensure timely posting of your degree and an accurate degree date.
If the commencement bulletin that your name should be listed in does not match the commencement year indicated on page 1, please send a notification to email@example.com of your new Ceremony Year. Note that you can participate in a ceremony as long as you are within 12 credits of completing your degree and the degree will be earned by the end of December.
If the major(s) and minor(s) you are currently pursuing do not match the ones indicated on page 1, please send a notification to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have added a major or minor, also submit a completed major/minor checklist with signatures.
Check Graduation Workshop
During your last semester, you’ll be added to the “Graduation Workshop” in the “My Courses” section of Inside Augsburg. This online workshop has important information and items you will need to complete before graduating, like exit loan counseling, migrating your email information, and connecting with the Alumni Association.
Participate in Commencement
Graduation is what happens when you have completed all requirements and receive your degree. Commencement is a ceremony for students to celebrate their academic achievement with friends and family. Participation in commencement does not automatically mean that a student has graduated; students are allowed to participate in the commencement ceremony if they are within 12 credits/3 requirements of graduation at the time of commencement and will finish those requirements within the calendar year.
Commencement is held at the end of each Spring semester. In mid-February, each student will be contacted through their Augsburg email about the Commencement Participation and Ticket Request Form.
Each graduate can receive up to 4 guaranteed tickets to the ceremony. All guests (including infants and toddlers) require a ticket for admission.
If you need extra tickets, indicate the number of tickets you would like to request on the form. No extra tickets are guaranteed. All extra ticket requests will be based on availability and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Information will also be included about ordering caps and gowns at the Graduation Fair in the Augsburg Bookstore.
Not planning to participate in the ceremony? Please make your tickets available to a classmate desiring more tickets by taking a moment to fill out the Commencement Ceremony Participation and Ticket Request Form found on the Commencement Website. This will help us to plan more accurately.
Diplomas and Transcripts
Once grades are submitted and you’ve completed all requirements, your record will be reviewed for graduation. You’ll get an email notifying you when your student status changes to “Graduated,” so if you are ordering final transcripts, it’s smart to wait until you receive this notification. Diplomas will be mailed out approximately eight weeks after the term ends and all requirements are met, and the diploma packet includes a copy of your final transcript to review, and an official copy in a sealed envelope.
Make sure your address information is up-to-date in Records and Registration, and that all financial obligations and exit loan counseling requirements are met so that your diploma is received in a timely manner and at an address of your choosing.
Stay an Auggie!
As a graduate of Augsburg University you will receive invitations to alumni events, the Augsburg NOW, and a monthly e-Newsletter to keep you informed of happenings at the University and updates on former classmates. To ensure you receive these things, please keep your contact information up-to-date. To update your contact information or submit your news, visit the Alumni Office or email email@example.com.