Bing tracking

COVID-19: Updates and Plans ›

Academic Probation

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is the policy set forth by the University to ensure students are making progress towards their degree.  To remain in good academic & financial standing students must:

  •       maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher AND
  •       complete at least 66.67% of the credits attempted

To view the full SAP policy refer to the Undergraduate Catalog.

Academic Probation

Students who do not meet the SAP standards will be placed on Academic Probation. Students are required to meet with their assigned Academic Advisor prior to, or at the start of the next semester to complete a Plan of Assistance.

Advisor Meeting Goals:

  1. Clearly explain both SAP standards and Academic Probation requirements
  2. Discuss previous barriers to success; both academic and personal
  3. Identify areas for improvement through campus referrals, academic skills coaching & addressing time management strategies
  4. Schedule recurring meetings throughout the semester as a time to check in and adjust plan as needed

Academic Probation Frequently Asked Questions:

Why am I on Academic Probation?

A student is placed on Academic Probation when their cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below a 2.0 and/or cumulative credit completion rate falls below 66.67% of the attempted credits.

Can I be on Academic Probation for both my cumulative GPA and cumulative completion rate?

Yes.  You can be on Academic Probation if your cumulative GPA and/or cumulative completion rate fall below the standards.  Work with your Academic Advisor to understand these standards.

How could the credit completion rate requirement impact my choice to withdraw from a course or to change to a pass/low pass/no pass grading structure?

Students who are on Academic Probation should work closely with their Academic Advisor to monitor course progress and make appropriate changes if needed. Academic Advisors can advise on the University’s withdrawal policies and highlight important deadlines.

Will my financial aid be affected by being on Academic Probation? What must I do now to ensure my financial aid is in place and I am fulfilling my requirements?

Students can “Track their Financial Aid” through the AugNet Service’s Records and Registration Portal to review any documents that may be necessary to receive financial aid.

Important note: Students who are on Academic Probation for more than one term should submit their Plan of Assistance as soon as possible to avoid any finance charges on their balance owed. Financial Aid cannot disburse until the Plan of Assistance has been completed and submitted!

Why do I have an Academic Probation hold? When will it be removed?

An Academic Probation hold will prevent you from registering for classes until it is removed. The hold ensures you:

  •       speak with your academic advisor
  •       are monitoring your progress
  •       use available resources shown to support academic progress
  •       complete all Academic Probation requirements

This hold will be removed once you have demonstrated you are making satisfactory academic progress through required course progress reports.

What is an academic course progress report?

An academic course progress report is feedback from the professor indicating a student’s progress in a course. Approved reports include:

  •   An email from the professor
  •   Documentation from a progress reporting system available through the University (e.g. Moodle, feedback).

What if my professor does not respond to my request for academic course progress?

Students are encouraged to use email to document their communication with their professor and to demonstrate their effort. If unsuccessful, your Academic Advisor can work with you to find alternative means for course progress feedback.

Who is my Academic Advisor? When should I contact them?

You can view your assigned Academic Advisor by signing in to AugNet Services, clicking into Records & Registration and referring to the right hand panel titled “My Information”.

It is recommended you contact them as soon as you are notified of your Academic Probation standing. They all have online scheduling available if you visit our contact page.

When will my academic status be reviewed so I can be removed from Academic Probation?

At the end of the next semester attempted, once final grades have been posted, the Registrar will conduct another review.  Students meeting cumulative standards will be removed from Academic Probation.  

If cumulative standards are not met, the student’s term GPA and credit completion rate will be evaluated for progress. Students will continue on Academic Probation if they:

  •       earn a term minimum of a 2.00 GPA and 66.67% credit completion rate
  •       and complete all other requirements as outlined above

If cumulative and term standards are not met, students will be Suspended. For a complete list of standards, see the Undergraduate Catalog.

How do I check my final grades?

Students can check their grades by signing in to AugNet Services, clicking into Records & Registration and referring to the “Final Grades” under REGISTRATION AND GRADES.

What if I left the University on Academic Probation and want to readmit?

Students who leave the University on Academic Probation or Suspension can review our Readmission Policy in the Undergraduate Catalog.

The Application for Readmission can be found at