Augsburg assigns students a math placement group (MPG1-MPG5) based on a variety of criteria. In order to graduate, all students must achieve at least MPG3. However, some courses require students to achieve MPG4 as a prerequisite.
Students with disabilities may request accommodations for placement tests through the Augsburg CLASS/Disability Resources office. To request accommodations, call 612-330-1053 or email email@example.com.
Placement test instructions
- Activate your Augsburg Account
- Log into Inside Augsburg
- Log into Moodle on the left menu
- Click on “All Courses” in the top menu → select “Courses 2021-23”
- Click on “Math Placement Test”
- Complete the Math History Questionnaire and Academic Honesty Statement
- These are both required before starting the placement exam
- Select “begin the test”
What if I don’t see the math placement test option in my Moodle?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work quickly to get you access.
Can I get the math placement test waived?
You do not need to take the math placement test if you have completed the following in the past five years:
- Transferred in a course equivalent to College Algebra or higher with a grade of C-, or via test score with College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or Advanced Placement (AP) exam.
Students planning to major in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, or Mathematics Secondary Education must achieve MPG4.
If you are planning to major in one of the above mentioned majors, you do not need to complete the math placement test if you have completed the following in the past five years:
- Received a 26 or higher on their ACT math subscore AND successfully completed high school trigonometry, pre-calculus, or calculus.
- Received a C- or better in a college level Precalculus course;
- Transferred in calculus I on the Advanced Placement (AP) exam.
Which sections in the math placement test do I need to complete?
To achieve MPG3, students must complete the prealgebra and algebra sections. To achieve MPG4, students must complete the prealgebra, algebra, and precalculus sections.
How do I interpret my math placement?
- MPG1 = you must complete MAT 090 Prealgebra & MAT 105 Applied Algebra (or MAT 106 Applied Algebra and Trigonometry [for STEM and Natural Science majors])
- MPG2 = you must complete MAT 105 Applied Algebra (or MAT 106 Applied Algebra and Trigonometry [for STEM and Natural Science majors])
- MPG3 = you have met the algebra proficiency graduation requirement
- MPG4 = you have met the algebra proficiency graduation requirement and can take MAT 145 Calculus I
- MPG5 = you have met the algebra proficiency graduation requirement and transferred in Calculus I
How long is the test and what materials will I need?
You have 45 minutes to complete the test and it must be completed in one sitting. Make sure you have the time, scratch paper, pencil, and internet connection to finish.
How can I prepare for this test?
Am I allowed to retake the math placement test for a third time?
You are allowed to retest once during your first term with a 30-day waiting period between tests. If you are requesting to retest, but do not qualify – you can petition to retest.