tHE 2020–21 CASPA APPLICATION IS Closed
Admission to any PA program is a highly competitive process. The Augsburg PA program has a two-step application process involving the Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA) and the Augsburg PA Supplemental Application. Both components are open by May 1st and must be completed no later than August 1st.
- Apply through the Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). The Augsburg PA Program participates in the Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA), which is sponsored by the Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA). All applications to the Augsburg PA Program must be processed through CASPA, following all guidelines and regulations set forth by the application service.
- Finish application to Augsburg University via the Supplemental Application or copy and paste this link into your browser: https://admissions.augsburg.edu/apply/. Returning users are anyone who has applied to Augsburg in the past. First time users must create an account to start your application. You can save an application “in process” and return to it if necessary. Remember to log back in as a “Returning User” or you will be prompted to start over.
- The application type is PA Supplemental Application.
- Complete all required fields in Personal Background tab.
- You will need to enter your CASPA ID and upload your answers to the Augsburg supplemental essay questions listed on the page.
- Please input your full legal name as your signature.
- Finalize your application and make a payment. You must submit your $50.00 application fee before your application is considered complete.
- If you have any questions or issues with the Supplemental Application, please contact the Graduate Admissions Office at 612-330-1101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
DEADLINES AND MINIMUM CRITERIA
For the 2021–22 cycle, your CASPA application is due August 1st, 2021 and your Augsburg supplemental application is due August 1st, 2021. Supplemental applications and fees received after that date will not be considered. Your file will be reviewed by the Admission Committee if you have:
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (as officially calculated by CASPA)
- A minimum science GPA of 3.0 (as officially calculated by CASPA)
- Completed or will complete your undergraduate degree prior to the start date of the program
- Completed or will complete your prerequisite courses
- Completed your supplemental application, including the electronic application (general questions and essays)
- Submitted payment* to CASPA and to Augsburg University. This includes the non-refundable supplemental application fee in the amount of $50.
*You will be redirected to the payment portal immediately following the electronic submission of your application. Check your email inbox for a confirmation that your supplemental application has been received, as well as a receipt of your payment.
For specific information on the minimum criteria, please reference our prerequisite page.
CASPA ‘COMPLETE DATE’
We use the CASPA “Complete Date” to determine if you have met the application deadline. The “Complete Date” on your application must be August 1st or prior in order to be considered as meeting the deadline. We recommend that you begin working on your application early and submit your application within 6 weeks of the deadline. CASPA only assigns a “Complete Date’ when they have received your electronic application, transcripts from all schools attended, 2 of your 3 letters of reference, and payment.
*COVID-19 UPDATE: for applicants to the class starting in May 2021
- Augsburg PA will accept Pass (P), Satisfactory (S) or the equivalent for required prerequisite coursework taken in the Spring and Summer of 2020.
- Due to ‘stay at home orders’ and other COVID-19 related issues, applicants may have difficulty meeting the recommended shadowing, volunteer and direct patient care hours. We understand these challenges and will continue to consider applications fairly and holistically.
- CASPA will give you the opportunity to discuss how COVID-19 has impacted your application. Should you choose to answer this question, Augsburg PA will review it as part of our holistic approach. Answering this question is optional.
- CASPA and supplemental application deadlines will be extended until August 15th, 2020.
FILE REVIEW AND SELECTION PROCESS
The Augsburg PA Program is a mission driven program that recruits caring individuals who are dedicated to providing and increasing access to competent health care. The Admissions Committee looks for a balanced application by reviewing key criteria such as a bachelor’s degree, cumulative GPA, science GPA, prerequisite courses, essays and direct patient care experience. Applicants are reviewed holistically for their service to underserved populations, knowledge of the profession, leadership activities, compassion and respect for others, ethics and integrity, personal and professional development, and letters of recommendation.
We give preference to applicants who demonstrate a strong match to our mission and who meet any of the following characteristics:
- Minnesota residents
- Augsburg graduates (those who have completed an undergraduate degree)
- Re-applicants who have improved their science GPA (improved by at least 0.2 after meeting the minimum requirement of 3.0) and/or patient care experience (accrued at least 2000 hours of direct patient care at time of re-application)
- Military experience (honorably discharged veterans and active military)
- HRSA economic indicators from CASPA application:
- I am the first generation in my family to attend college (neither my mother nor my father attended college)
- I am from a family that lives in an area that is designated as a Health Professional Shortage Area, or a Medically Underserved Area (https://data.hrsa.gov/tools/shortage-area/hpsa-find).
- Your parent’s family income falls within the table’s guidelines and you are considered to have met the criteria for economically disadvantaged.
As the committee completes file review, candidates are selected for an in-person interview. The interviews are generally conducted from September-November. Candidates are invited to campus to meet program faculty, staff, current students, and to tour the facilities. The interviews focus on an applicant’s professionalism, communication skills, knowledge of and dedication to the Augsburg PA mission, patient care experiences, teamwork skills, and questions asked by the applicant.
As interviews are completed, seats in the incoming class are offered. The cohort class will be filled between the months of October and May. A list of alternates will be selected to fill seats that accepted candidates may not claim.
Accepted candidates must complete and pass a background check prior to matriculation. Background checks will be repeated several times during the clinical phase as well. PA students who do not pass a background check will not be allowed to proceed to clinical rotation sites and may be dismissed from the program.