tHE 2019–20 CASPA APPLICATION IS OPEN
Admission to any PA program is a highly competitive process. The Augsburg PA program has a two-step application process involving the Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA) and the Augsburg PA Supplemental Application. Both components are open by May 1 and must be completed no later than August 1.
- Apply through the Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). The Augsburg PA Program participates in the Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA), which is sponsored by the Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA). All applications to the Augsburg PA Program must be processed through CASPA, following all guidelines and regulations set forth by the application service.
- Apply to the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies Program at Augsburg University via the Supplemental Application or copy and paste this link into your browser: https://admissions.augsburg.edu/apply/. You will first select “Graduate Academic Year 2020” and then “Graduate PA 2020 Application.” You will need to enter your CASPA ID into the Augsburg supplemental application. If you have any questions or issues with the Supplemental Application, please contact the Graduate Admissions Office at 612-330-1101 or email@example.com.
DEADLINES AND MINIMUM CRITERIA
For the 2019–20 cycle, your CASPA application is due August 1, 2019, and your Augsburg supplemental application is due August 1, 2019. Supplemental applications and fees received after that date will not be considered. Your file will be reviewed by the Admission Committee if you have:
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (as officially calculated by CASPA)
- A minimum science GPA of 3.0 (as officially calculated by CASPA)
- Completed or will complete your undergraduate degree prior to the start date of the program
- Completed or will complete your prerequisite courses
- Completed your supplemental application, including the electronic application (general questions and essays)
- Submitted payment* to CASPA and to Augsburg University. This includes the non-refundable supplemental application fee in the amount of $50.
*You will be redirected to the payment portal immediately following the electronic submission of your application. Check your email inbox for a confirmation that your supplemental application has been received, as well as a receipt of your payment.
For specific information on the minimum criteria, please reference our prerequisite page.
CASPA ‘COMPLETE DATE’
We use the CASPA “Complete Date” to determine if you have met the application deadline of August 1. The “Complete Date” on your application must be August 1 or prior in order to be considered as meeting the deadline. We recommend that you begin working on your application early and submit your application within 6 weeks of the August 1 deadline. CASPA only assigns a “Complete Date’ when they have received your electronic application, transcripts from all schools attended, 2 of your 3 letters of reference, and payment.
REVIEW AND SELECTION PROCESS
The selection committee looks for a balanced application by reviewing key criteria such as cumulative GPA, science GPA, and direct patient care experience followed by overall academic record, service to underserved (disadvantaged, minority, or under-represented populations), essay responses, knowledge of the profession, fit with the program goals and mission, and recommendation letters.
As the committee completes file review, candidates are selected for an in-person interview. The interviews are generally conducted from September-November. Candidates are invited to campus to meet program faculty, staff, current students, and to tour the facilities.
As interviews are completed, seats in the incoming class are offered. The cohort class will be filled between the months of October and May. A list of alternates will be selected to fill seats that accepted candidates may not claim.
Accepted candidates must complete and pass a background check prior to matriculation. Background checks will be repeated several times during the clinical phase as well. PA students who do not pass a background check will not be allowed to proceed to clinical rotation sites and may be dismissed from the program.