J-1 students are required to maintain the following minimum level of health insurance for their entire stay in the United States:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
Many exchange students receive health insurance through their home country. Any exchange student who is not covered by a qualified plan from one’s own country will need to enroll in Augsburg’s international student health insurance plan through GeoBlue. If you do not want to be on Augsburg’s GeoBlue plan, You will be required to provide written proof of insurance coverage to ISSS. The information should be in English. Your J-1 program may be cancelled if you fail to meet this requirement.
All international students are required to have adequate health insurance for the duration of their academic program at Augsburg University and every day you are in the United States as an international student. Students must be enrolled in a health insurance plan for their entire stay in the U.S., including school break periods. We encourage all students to carry their health insurance card and be aware of your options if you get sick or in case of emergency.
GeoBlue Health Insurance
Augsburg provides health insurance for J-1 international students through GeoBlue – this is a Blue Cross Blue Shield Network for those who do not have insurance in their home countries. Find out specific information about the plan on their online portal. Review this presentation for more information about accessing health insurance in the United States.
Review the GeoBlue Student Member Guide for 2018-2019 for more information.
For questions about your medical plan or what you can use your plan for:
Toll free within the U.S. call 1.844.268.2686
Outside the U.S. call +1.610.263.2847
Get the App and your Health Insurance Card
If you are a GeoBlue member, you can download the app or request a card in the following ways:
1. Download the “GeoBlue” App and have constant access to your card on your phone, in addition to many other member services.
2. Register or Log In as a member at www.geobluestudents.com, where you can request a card (laminated copy) that can be sent to your Augsburg mail box, or ours (CB #68), or you can print a card. You will need a certificate number – we can provide that information for you.
3. You can call GeoBlue member services and request that they send you a card.
Preview this presentation about Accessing your Health Insurance in the United States and is geared towards the GeoBlue Insurance.