[Updated November 13] — The Augsburg College River Semester, created and led by Joe Underhill, associate professor of political science, departed from St. Paul’s Harriet Island on September 1. As part of the kickoff, the River Semester class was joined by a group of nearly 100 students, parents, high school students and members of the Augsburg College community who paddled in a flotilla of 24-foot voyageur canoes from St. Paul to South St. Paul. Students participating in the semester-long program will earn as many as 16 credits in the arts, humanities, and sciences as they travel nearly 2,000 miles of the 2,350-mile Mississippi River.
The River Semester kickoff garnered a range of attention. Gov. Mark Dayton proclaimed September 1 “Augsburg College River Semester Day” and many media outlets covered the launch of the class.
Since the students and faculty departed on their voyage, print and broadcast media have been sharing the story of this hands-on, interdisciplinary program. In fact, multiple stories have been picked up by the Associated Press and shared through the AP’s member media throughout the nation.
A snapshot of the ongoing media coverage is below. As additional coverage occurs, it will be added to this post.
- Shorewood native spending college semester paddling Mississippi River, Shorewood (Wisconsin) Now
- The Mississippi River is their classroom, The Hawk Eye, Burlington (Iowa)
- College student trekking down the Mississippi, White Bear (Minnesota) Press
- A College Semester on the River, WVIK Public Radio, Quad Cities
- College students take their semester to the river, KWWL (NBC) TV in Dubuque, Iowa
- For river semester, outdoors as classroom, Mankato (Minnesota) Free Press
- Semester on Mississippi River brings college students to Dubuque, KCRG (ABC) TV in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- During Augsburg’s River Semester, all of outdoors is classroom, Minnesota Public Radio
- Open-Air Classroom: During River Semester, all of outdoors is classroom, Star Tribune
- During River Semester, all of outdoors is classroom, WRAL TV in Raleigh, North Carolina
- Full listing of all coverage of the story by the Associated Press that was shared by print and broadcast media outlets including the Military Times and outlets in Minnesota and South Dakota.
Augsburg Students Spend Semester Floating Down Mississippi, WCCO (CBS) TV
- During River Semester, all outdoors is classroom, Bismarck (North Dakota) Tribune
- The river is their campus, Page 1, Winona (Minnesota) Daily News
- Semester on the river, Page 1, Red Wing (Minnesota) Republican Eagle
- Augsburg launches “River Semester” on Mississippi, KSTP(ABC) TV
- Augsburg students set off for semester on the river, Minnesota Public Radio
- Classroom in a canoe, Page 1, Pioneer Press
- Gallery: Nation’s first-ever River Semester, Star Tribune
- Full listing of all coverage, including of the story by the Associated Press that was shared by print and broadcast media outlets in Indiana, Minnesota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.